National & State of Minnesota
The International Labor Organization conservatively estimates that 4.5 million people around the world are currently forced into sexual exploitation and 98% of these victims are women and girls.
75%: Girls entangled in prostitution networks controlled by a sex trafficker or pimp. 2
By very conservative measures, a November 2010 study found that each month in Minnesota at least 213 girls are sold for sex an average of five times per day through the Internet and escort services. This number does not include hotel, street or gang activity. 3
In 2010, investigators from three states determined that Minneapolis was the home base of a large domestic prostitution (sex trafficking) ring comprised of three generations of one Minnesota family that was prostituting (exploiting) mostly young girls across the United States. 5
At least 15,000 people are trafficked into the United States annually.
A November 2010 study found that on any given weekend night in Minnesota, 45 girls under age 18 are sold for sex through the internet classified websites & escort services. 3
About 50% of adult women interviewed as part of a 2010 study focused on North Minneapolis stated that they first traded sex when they were under the age of 18, with the average age at 13. 6
In just one 72-hour sting over the summer, an FBI-led operation rescued 105 children and netted 152 pimps in 76 cities nationwide, including four alleged pimps in the Twin Cities.
MN Human Trafficking
Task Force Statistics.
1. U. S. Department of Justice, Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section.
2. Richard J. Estes and Neil Weiner, “The Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children In the U. S., Canada and Mexico,” University of Pennsylvania, February 2002.
3. The Schapiro Group, “Adolescent Girls in the United States Sex Trade." Tracking Study Results for November 2010
4. The Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Efforts to Combat Crimes Against Children, Chapter 4: Non-Cyber Sexual Exploitation of Children.
5. Chao Xiong and Allie Shah, StarTribune, “Somali Gang Linked to Minnesota Sex Ring,” September 23, 2010
6. Martin, L. (2010). The prostitution project: Community-based research on sex trading in north Minneapolis. CURA Reporter, Fall-Winter 2010.
7. U.S. State Department, Trafficking in Persons Report, 2010